First of all, let’s describe what we mean by telematics. As you might infer from its name, telematics is the happy combination of telecommunications with informatics systems, such as computers. This is a term frequently used in conjunction with fleet management, because there is an ever-increasing need to monitor vehicle usage and operation, maintenance requirements, and automatic servicing. By using telematics, a fleet manager can save a great deal of time and effort, and can streamline the entire management process, so that all that information is available at your fingertips. Fleet management software will generally be based on a sound system of telematics, and below you’ll find a number of reasons why it will be beneficial for you to make use of telematics in managing your own fleet of vehicles.
Why use telematics in fleet management?
In addition to the streamlining benefits mentioned above, there are several other advantages to using telematics in fleet management. Below, are some of the most compelling reasons to use telematics:
- Communication with drivers– a good telematics system will establish communication between drivers and managers so that it’s easy to combine dispatch services with routing. With a telematics-based app, drivers can access current updated schedules and routes, and can use voice communication when talking with dispatchers. Other capabilities of the app allow for checking in at an assigned location just by touching a button. You’ll also be able to take photographs, customer signatures, and any other information necessary to document the completion of a job so that billing can proceed.
- Maximizing mileage– telematics can enable drivers to find the fastest routes available, because it allows dispatchers to always remain in touch with drivers. It can also monitor driver behavior and capture information about engine status and inspection data, so that preventive maintenance can be performed periodically. This will ensure that your vehicles are safe and being operated in a fuel efficient manner on the road.
- Customer satisfaction– since routing and dispatch information will be integrated, that will make it much more possible to achieve full vehicle optimization. That will keep your business operating smoothly, and your vehicles can be well maintained on the road, so that customer needs are adequately handled. This may be one of the most important benefits of any telematics system, because keeping satisfied customers is absolutely crucial to ongoing business success.
- Dispatching drivers– it will always be necessary for any company that has a fleet of vehicles to be as flexible as possible, so they can accommodate customer requirements. This usually involves selecting the driver closest to a given customer’s location, so the task can be accomplished as quickly as possible. A good telematics system will always be updating and sharing information with drivers so that dynamic routing can take place, and all customer requirements can be effectively managed.
- Prebuilding routes– one of the most beneficial features of any telematics system will be the ability to pre-build routes. This will allow drivers to take the maximum number of service calls while using up a minimum amount of fuel and time, and exposing the vehicle to the least amount of wear. Prebuilding routes will also allow you to adjust them throughout the day, so that drivers can avoid accidents, heavy traffic situations, and any other roadway incidents that could delay drivers in transit. You can couple your pre-building process with mapping software such as Google Maps, Waze, or any similar GPS platform that provides global positioning information.
Best customer service
To be sure, using a telematics system for fleet management will definitely allow you to have much greater awareness of driver behavior and vehicle operation, as well as precisely locating all vehicles on the road. But even more important than these benefits are the advantages that telematics provides in the way of keeping customers happy. By servicing customer requests in the fastest manner possible, and ensuring that drivers are operating vehicles safely and efficiently, your business can maintain a strong history of great customer satisfaction. That might be the very best thing that can be said about your company, and it may even attract more customers.